Panzanella is my ultimate favorite summer dish. It’s always been vegan and like most Italian recipes, it combines simple high-quality ingredients for an incredibly tasty outcome.
Plus, it’s an amazing use for stale bread, making it super Zero Waste friendly!
My recipe is purposefully vague about the amounts of ingredients to use because it depends on how much old bread you have to use up, as well as your personal taste. You really can’t make any mistakes here!
I love Panzanella so much, I requested it as an appetizer for our Wedding last August. (Pssst, more Vegan Wedding content can be found here 🙂 )
My Vegan Mozzarella recipe also goes great with this!
- Stale Bread Ciabatta, Baguette
- Tomatoes different varieties for visual effect
- Red Onion
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- Cut or tear the bread into bite size pieces.
- If the bread is still too soft, toast in the oven on low heat to dry it out a little further.
- Cut the tomatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Dress tomatoes and onions with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bread right before serving so it doesn't get too soggy right away.
- Tear up some basil leaves and add to your salad. Leave some intact for garnish.