This is a super simple recipe to curb your craving for fresh Mozzarella. Perfect to pair with some heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
I can’t think of a more dish that reminds me more of summer vacation in Italy as Caprese does. Maybe pizza- which, coincidentally is also a great use for this vegan mozzarella!
I used Gourmandelle’s recipe for vegan Mozzarella balls but I added a tiny bit of garlic and onion powder. It’s barely noticeable as such, but it adds a little bit of a “cheesy” tang!
- 2 Cups Cashews, soaked at least 4 hours 250g
- 1⅔ Cups Water 400ml
- 6 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 pinch Onion Powder optional
- 1 pinch Garlic Powder optional
- Put all ingredients in your food processor or blender. Blend well until it has the consistency of milk.
- Put a large saucepan over medium heat, pour the mixture in the pan.
- Cook it while continuously stirring for about 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with ice cold water. Add 1 Tbsp of salt and dissolve it.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, start scooping small mozzarella balls from the cooled mixture.
- Put the balls in the water and let them cool for one minute. You can refine their shape using your hands too.
- Transfer Mozzarella and brine into a smaller container if needed. You can store the vegan mozzarella balls in the fridge for a couple of days.
Hope you enjoy this recipe, let me know what you’ll use it in!
Find more of my recipes here.