This vegan Ricciarelli recipe is such an amazing treat, not only for the Holidays! If you like macarons but are too lazy to make them, try these instead!
Ricciarelli are traditionally from Siena, Italy, and served around Christmas. Apparently, they date back all the way to the 14th century!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen me fail miserably at making vegan macarons. These vegan Ricciarelli are sort of my cheat macarons because they have almost the exact same ingredients and a similar method, but ar SO MUCH easier and less fussy to make.
No need to grind the almond flour or to fold the batter endlessly, no need for an oven thermometer, no piping, no watching impatiently if they are forming „feet“ in the oven…
But nonetheless, a crunchy shell and a chewy, marzipan-like center. Perfect to serve with coffee!
Sort of like the more rustic Italian relative to dainty french macarons.
These vegan Ricciarelli are all-year round cookies. I added them to my Christmas cookie boxes, but you can just as well serve them in the middle of summer.
I love these vegan Ricciarelli and I think you will too!
- 6 tbsp Aquafaba 90 ml
- 1 dash Lemon Juice
- 1 ¼ Cups Almond Flour 120 g
- 1 ¾ Cups Sugar 350 g
- Zest of half an Orange
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- Whip aquafaba and lemon juice until foamy
- Add sugar in 2-3 portions and beat with a hand- or stand mixer until stiff peaks form
- Slowly fold in the almond flour, zest, salt, almond and vanilla extract and try to keep some air in the whipped aquafaba
- Roll pieces of dough between your hands to form balls and coat them in powdered sugar
- Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten them slightly with your hands
- Leave at room temperature to dry for about an hour. For maximum effect "pre-crack" the surface by squeezing the dough balls into ovals.
- While cookies are drying, pre-heat oven to 150°C / 300°F
- When cookies are dry, bake for 20 minutes
- Let cool and store in an airtight contianer. They are best the next day!
Post contains Affiliate Links.
If you choose to buy using one of the above links, I make a small cut and I’m forever grateful!